Monday, March 22, 2010

Homework time!

EDIT: Dana, you get a B.



Time for Dana's homework!
Dana is my Student. She's a realtor from Maine who loves photography, but doesn't know
much of the science behind it. I'm teaching Slowly over twitter, mostly. This is really a fresh
thing for her, rather than just assigned reading. This is a REVIEW!


Your Project today is:
Examine both photos, and tell me what can make it better. Some of its really easy, some, not so much.


Note: Second one is cut off due to blog layout. View here

NO CHEATING!


Note Number Deux: Anybody can take part in this, but please wait until I edit this post saying dana is done before posting.

4 comments:

  1. 1. use a lens hood?
    2. don't face the sun as much, take the shot from a slightly different angle?
    3. looks like the top photo was a longer exposure, reduce it a bit and compensate by the f stop?
    Am I on the right track?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were on different exposures and apertures, yes.

    You've submitted your answer to one part. Keep searching and let me know if you can find more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an amateur photographer, too so I'm still learning. I would say... too close to the object, out of focus (no happy media point of focus) but it all depends on the type of camera used as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.

    Knowing that Dana already has a good eye for composition, I was aiming to cram in More technical aspects of what she's been learning/studying recently. I wasn't actually expecting an answer such as yours. Very Nice! You studied the image at a much deeper level than the average viewer would. You've got the eye. Thanks for the answer! this was shot with a Nikon D60, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, Wide open. Since it's wide open and Manual focus on a D60, It's sometimes hard for me to get optimum focus. That plus lenses aren't as sharp at their max. apertures.

    What do you shoot with?

    ReplyDelete