Thursday, April 8, 2010

Life in Black & White?

I'm currently sitting in my living/dining room (loooong room lacking a divider) and my grandfather is talking about his friend in california from the '60s. Chuck Owens. Chuck had a pool underneath his garage. A swimming pool.
Underneath his garage. My brother said "cool", then dad reminded him this was in the '60s, and everything was mechanical, analog, and hand-cranked.

Then I realized that whenever I think of anything before, oh say, '75, I visualize stuff in Black & White.

I feel bad about this, for some reason.

Is it profiling? Racist? Or just my young, spoiled mind?

Care to share?

2 comments:

  1. I totally do this about certain things! You are not alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say it's profiling or racist... it's more artistic to be honest. If you think about how black and white is used in photography... it gives the image a sort of "memory-like" quality which I think is perfectly fitting for remembering memories of your own or visualizing someone else's. You're just thinking of things in the terms of a photograph... I bet that pool under the garage would make an awesome photo in black and white, but might lose some of it's mystery in color. ;-)
    (Does that make your young, spoiled mind feel better? j/k)

    ReplyDelete