Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ken Rockwell and Image Files

Oh hello there.
This morning I checked KenRockwell.com as I usually do, and I saw he has a review of the
Lexar 32GB 600x Compact flash card. I read it, and he mentioned many times that he couldn't fill it. He tried and tried and couldn't fill it or kill it. How can you not fill 32Gb in 2 months?!
I run 4Gb of photos most days of shooting! (Let it be clear that I don't just click away, but I do take a lot of Dups.)
Then I realized why. HE SHOOTS JPEG!
I am a diligent follower of pro Photographer Jared Polin, and recently he did a week long series of YouTube videos on RAW Vs. Jpeg. Not only did it open my eyes to how much I can do with RAW, but it reassured my disagreements with Ken.

I'll make some huge rant post about this sometime soon, but for now I just want to state facts.

What photographers here shoot what? Raise hands in comments. Please do.
I've never met a Real photographer that shoots Jpeg. that being said, Ken Rockwell isn't a photographer. He's an Engineer. I don't like Ken Rockwell's pictures. They look like snapshots. Almost all of them look over sharpened and miscolored. Why? he lets his camera do everything. His photos are big ol' snapshots. Really Snazzy, $5000 dollar camera snapshots.
He talks about how he loves his D40 as much as his D3.
Sure, you can make amazing, professional quality images with it, but if I have a D3 at my disposal, you bet your toupee that I'm gonna use the D3. It's not that I can't do it on a D40, but I can do it easier, more refined, & more enjoyably on a better camera. I don't give a poo about size and weight, I'm youthful and have man hands.
His images are far from art, but plenty good enough for your Aunt's facebook page.
That's what I have to say about him for now.

I'm gonna go get some coffee and read the news.

Remember, Kids, Don't Do Quantaray!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I shoot with a D40. As for the raw vs jpeg debate, I shoot in raw, which I prefer. My belief is if you're going to shoot in jpeg, you might as well keep your point and shoot. But that debate, to me, is like the whole "REAL photographers only shoot in manual" business. I shoot in whatever mode best suits the situation. And I'm sure many of them flip that switch to auto when they need to, they just don't tell anybody. As for Ken Rockwell, I don't pay him any attention lol. Thanks for a great post :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know about Ken but I used to follow Jared Polin until a few videos that I viewed left me thinking that his knowledge in photography at times lacking. He loves to sell his T shirts thats for sure. Greg, his partner, seems to know his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shoot RAW, and I know at least 26 more people who shoot RAW...

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually, the D3's sensor produces more beautiful pictures, too. quality of the sensor is huge. ....I shoot RAW for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete