Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Serious NoNo

Hello All!
Recently, I was positioned as photographer for Foothills Community Players' latest production, On Golden Pond. Being a young teen yet photographer for something like this can be a bit nerve-racking (In February I was jumped from Ass. to Head the day of Photo Call) but we all work better under pressure, no? So I did my thing as the time came, and as always I shoot Dress (if I can), Final Dress, and of course, Photo Call. I didn't have the luxury of shooting Dress, so I was quite ridged and focused on Final Dress, leading to the following mistake.



Prof. Norman Thayer Jr., On Golden Pond, The State Of Maine.

Here he is, norman Thayer Jr., reading up. A fair shot, no? NO. See that foot, cause I sure don't. That foot was Cut Off. That's called bad composition. See all that room above the head? Cut from that and adjust. I have a very bad habit of leaving a bit too much headroom, sometimes compromising the better shot. Although he's only in this chair for maybe 15 seconds, holding still for maybe 5, that's still no excuse. Always check your composition. Focus>compose>expose. In that sequence. Save people's foreheads and toes; compose.

So what have we learned today? Don't cut toes, don't cut heads, and remember, there is Always time to re-compose. Don't let it slip, it's make or break.

On a side note: the AF-AE lock on a Nikon D60 is crap. I couldn't keep it locked without changing a setting with my manhands. I need a new camera.

Have fun, kids! And remember, Quantaray kills.

1 comment:

  1. I do that all the time still. I focus so much on other aspects of the photo (mostly the face) and end up amputating feet and legs. LOL. I still think it's a good shot. Perhaps cropping it might make you feel a little better? Perhaps focusing on lower torso up? You have great lighting either way, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete