Friday, January 15, 2010

Interview - Sara Norris


Sara Norris. She's a photographer. She's my FAVORITE photographer.
She makes a living, taking pictures. How could you NOT want that job?

She's a gal in New Mexico that is the best self portraitier (My homebrewed word of awesomeness) south of the arctic circle. She's always inspiring me, and other people around the world.
Interview time :D


1. What got you started on photography?

I got a little pink plastic camera as a gift. I was instantly in love. I took pictures of everything: flowers, family, friends, my hamster. I was addicted. When I was 12 or 13 I found my dad's 35mm Vivtar camera in a closet. It had several different lenses and I started learning about depth of field, exposure, and different kinds of film. That's when I decided that I wanted to be a photographer.
2. How old were you when you took your first picture?

I was young. I think I was around 7, that's when I got my first camera.

3. Where do you go for inspiration?

I'm inspired by everything around me. I'll go for walks or for a drive, peruse the internet, look at books and magazines. I can spend all day in a book store looking at photography books. You can find inspiration everywhere if you are in the right frame of mind.

4. What camera equipment do you use?

I mainly use a Canon 5D. That's my baby. But I also use a Polaroid Land Camera, a Polaroid SX-70, Holga and a couple of vintage medium format film cameras. Since Polaroids are so hard to get a hold of these days I don't use those very often, but I love them.

5. What do you do for a living?

Right now I am primarily just a photographer. I sell my fine art prints online, I take family portraits and I just started photographing musicians and live bands. I take the occasional job photographing clothing, editorial fashion, jewelry and products. I also spend about 10 hours a week working as the assistant for the owner of Modern Cowgirl, a local clothing company.

6. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Oh, this is a tough one. I am quite ambitious, I love life and I have to many goals and dreams for myself. In 10 years I hope to have a booming photography business. I want to have my fine art prints and gifts in boutique stores nationwide. I also want to have my work hanging in galleries. I want to travel the world. Most of all, I want to be happy, healthy and taking pictures every day.

7. Did you see yourself here when you were a kid?

Yes. I always knew I wanted to be an artist. There has never been a question in my mind that this is the life I wanted.



So there you have it.
When she commented on my blog, on Day 4, it was, strangely, a feeling of determination I've never felt before. I suppose it's because someone I look up to complimenting me? Anyways, That's a look inside Sara Norris's career. Pretty awesome, huh?

So, Buy something from her Etsy Shop,
Be amazed on her website,
Read her Blog,
View her on Flickr,
Follow her on twitter,
And become a fan of her on Facebook.

Oh, before you leave,


Sara Norris entered a contest. She really wants to win, and she needs your help.
Go to artistswanted.org/saranorris And vote for her.

You can do it every 24 hours, so, Do it every 24 hours! Tell your friends to vote, tell their neighbors to vote! Tell your cat, your grandmother, your broker, your real estate agent. Tell your roommate, your inmate, your mate. Tell your pals, your pen pals, your pen makers. Tell your teachers, tell your students. Tell your tutors, tell your bank tellers. tell your check out lady, tell your bag boy. Tell your butcher, tell Ashton Kutcher.

The point is, vote, and tell people to vote. :)

Adios for now, peeps, but be sure to check out Sara Norris for yourself.
Peace and love! (I watched Ringo Starr on Jimmy Fallon a few nights ago :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment